Making a Personal History Video is Easy!
Digital video cameras finally deliver on the marketing promises that producing a personal video is easy. Attendees learn how to prepare a room for a shoot, set up a camera to maximize available lighting, and frame a shot. We also cover interview basics.
Tom Underhill published his first book 19 years ago and started publishing books full-time two years later. Since 1999, Creative Continuum has specialized in publishing high-quality, short-run books, including family histories, memoirs, and photo and fine art books. During the last several years, Tom and his company produced more than 400 family history heirloom books, printed more than 12.5 million pages and scanned more than 13,500 photographs.
Creative Continuum has published several award-winning books. Among them, The California Missions as Art won a Davey Award in 2007 for design. A History of African-American Families and Slaveholders in Cass County, East Texas was awarded the Best Genealogy in Texas in 2005.
Tom’s speaking experience includes most of Southern California’s family history fairs and other major genealogical conventions. He has also presented at the Utah Genealogical Association’s annual conferences. Tom presented at the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Associations and at the 2005 FGS annual convention in Salt Lake City.
Tom is the author of thirteen books.
- Tom’s latest book, iPhonetography, is 150 pages of full-color photographs and “through-the-lens” illustrations that demonstrate staging, composition and lighting. You’ll learn how to transform your iPhone into a versatile camera, plus how to quickly and visually set the best exposure—and get the best shot possible.
- Tom is the lead architect for My Life Story, an initiative to find a fun and easy way to help people record their personal and family memoirs. Tom spent two and a half years developing the My Life Story interview by speaking with hundreds of people from all ages and walks of life.
- Digital Photography: Basics and Concepts helps beginning through intermediate photographers understand their digital camera equipment and improve their style and composition. This book helps everyone take fewer snapshots and shoot more photographs.
- Artistic Zing! for Photoshop is Tom’s secret treasure chest of Photoshop tools. Geared to Photoshop users with a basic understanding of the program, it builds on his first two Zing! books while moving into artistic expression with attention-getting techniques. Many consider this book comparable to his master’s thesis on Adobe Photoshop.
- Hyperstimulation: Teens, Porn and Online Addiction, helping youth survive online life is co-authored with Craig Georgianna who holds a Doctorate in Psychology. This comprehensive book helps teens and their parents deal with and work through the harsh reality and consequence of porn and video game addictions.
- Written with Andy Pomeroy, Lock the Boogie Man Out of Your Computer is an updated and expanded rewrite of Online Privacy and Protection. Boogie Man is an easy-to-follow checklist to family Internet security. This fun-to-read book presents methods to stay safe on the Internet.
- Family History Publishing Basics and Scanning and Photo Retouching Basics are geared to demystify much of the technical jargon surrounding image acquisition and publishing basics. Topics include resolution, descreening, font choices and margins.
- Make Your Photos Zing! is Tom’s step-by-step guide to mastering Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and make it easy to retouch and improve the photos you’ve always wanted to fix. Rather than focus on what each tool does, this book employs a project-centric approach to explaining the program.
- Dead Men Tell No Tales is a comprehensive how-to for recording and publishing your family’s oral history. This book and CD combination present a series of forms to help organize and itemzie the stories and heirloom you have collected for your loved ones.
- Save An Hour A Day On Your Computer helps eliminate the frustrations often encountered with using your computer. Tom shares his twenty plus years experience with Microsoft Windows and straight-forward techniques to help improve user efficiency. Some of the topics include backing up, defragmentation, screen resolution and keystroke commands.
- Make Your Photos Really Zing!, continues where his first Zing! book leaves off and teaches the techniques to restore, retouch and modify color photos. This Zing! book includes compositing techniques as well as a number of detailed photo recontruction examples to help you improve the quality of your scanned images.
- Taking Picture-Perfect Pictures helps photographers overcome the problems few people think about until they get the print back from the photo lab.
Tom has been quoted in a number of publications including the the Deseret News, Hartford Courant and the Dallas Morning News.
In 2007, Creative Continuum was nominated for the Orange County Business Journal’s Family Owned Business Award.
Orange Family History Fair 2010 Syllabus is a 162-page, 8.5"x11" book with paperback binding published in 2010.
Orange Family History Fair 2005 Syllabus is a 144-page, 8.5"x11" book with paperback binding published in 2005.
My Life, My Adventures and My Family is a 290-page, 7"x10.25" book with paperback binding published in 2010.
ProtoFab Products Casters Catalog is a 36-page, 8.5"x11" book with Binder catalog binding published in 2004.
Dead Men Tall No Tales is a 126-page, 5.5"x8.5" book with paperback with online content binding published in 2002.
Niles and Alma Carr is a 160-page, 8"x10" book with library edition hardback binding published in 2007.
Just Wait ’til Your Father Gets Home! is a 123-page, 5.5"x8.5" book with library edition hardback binding published in 2005.
My Dad: A Fathers Legacy is a 202-page, 5.25"x8" book with library edition hardback with dust jacket binding published in 2005.